Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Slinky is a barefoot runner

I woke up today, and the first thought in my head was, NOOOOOO! I can't get out of bed. It's going to HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT! So I stayed in bed. That didn't last long though because my lovely cats cannot be fooled by people pretending to be asleep. When I open my eyes in the morning, it is the equivalent of ringing the dinner bell for little Slinky ("wearing" VFFs above) and Burt. They meow and walk all over me until I get up. So I cringed, sat up and got ready for a world of hurt when I put my feet on the ground. I gingerly placed them on the floor and stood up and Hallelujah!!! It didn't hurt! And, it hasn't hurt all day. I made it down the stairs no problem.

I did wear my VFFs for about 15 minutes today just popping out to the store, and my toe hurt from yesterday again, like a little tiny pebble was in there. It was annoying, so tomorrow I'm going to try putting a lot of Gold Bond powder in the toes tomorrow to see if maybe that will help at all. I'm not sure why it would help, but I like Gold Bond as a sort of cure-all. I'm hoping this pain isn't an issue tomorrow. I'll take the time to wiggle my toes in just right and with the Gold Bond, it might just do the trick. If not, Injinji socks might be necessary. They are socks with toes that cost a whopping $13/pair. Let's not hope for that.

On my short trip outside with the VFFs today, I noticed something that I didn't notice before. My feet were really cold. I ran in the rain yesterday, and it was cold out the other day, but today was rainy and cold, and that combo left my feet frigid. It's amazing how much cold passes from the ground, through your shoes and to your feet. Add that in with the cold rain getting in through the thin fabric that keeps me cool while I'm running, and my feet were ice. I'm hoping that winter is really truly over and this won't be an issue to think about for many many months, but I wonder how it will be come October or November when running in below freezing temperature. There is another style VFF made for colder weather, made with thicker fabric, but the cold you feel from the ground has still got to be an issue because the sole of the shoe still has to be so thin and minimal. If it's anything like this past winter (please let it be really be past) when I was out running with feet of snow on the ground in temperatures in the teens and below, extra thick neoprene isn't going to cut it. Right now, I'll just enjoy the warmer weather and be thankful I wasn't out running today.
This is my other cat Burt btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment