Tuesday, April 27, 2010

VFF Update

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've had one of those weeks where you always feel busy, but you're not actually being productive. But don't you worry, I'm back and ready to blog.

It's been exactly one month and a day since I first got my VFFs, and since my last update, there is a lot to tell. Even though I tried to judge running in VFFs with a critical eye, I couldn't help myself and drank the kool aid early on. I sang the praises and convinced myself that I would make a quick transition and change my life. Unfortunately, since week 2 of running in minimalist shoes and blissful runs, it hasn't been that easy. I don't really have bad things to say about VFFs (the kool aid is still pulsing through my veins) - it's more so that the woes of the transition are catching up with me. So my VFF saga continues...

Early On
I wrote about a great run a had a in VFFs a few weeks ago.  Early on, it was quick to notice the positives:
  1. They're light weight - You wouldn't think it makes a huge difference, but it really does. I originally bought my Nike Lunar Trainers (which aren't manufactured anymore) because they were so lightweight. My feet felt light and fast so I bought two pairs. Those weigh 7.1 ounces in my size. My KSOs weigh in at 4.7 ounces. I felt more free and like I'm gliding in these light-weight shoes, especially when I'm sprinting.
  2. Uphills feel a thousand percent better
  3. The burn in all the right places - I felt the burn, and I liked it. My calves felt like they were awakened after years of lazy running.
  4. And best of all - it wasn't hurting as much as I thought it would. All I read was how much it would hurt at first and how hard the transition is, but in the beginning it felt better than I thought it would. Ryan hobbled around the apt in pain the first week, which further highlighted my relative lack of pain.
The PAIN!
Many differences were very noticible in the beginning, but at some point, many of the benefits stop being novel. I got used to the weight of them, so although it strikes me now and then how light and unencumbered my feet feel, it is my norm. Similarly, hills don't feel as easy as they used to. My biggest problem is number 4 on my positive list. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would in the beginning, so I jumped right in and after about a week and ran in my VFFs 100% of the time for 100% of the distance. Big No-No! Week 3 hit me hard with some serious pains.

I started getting some top of the foot pain every now and then. (Apparently I need to keep up with my pose drills better to get rid of this problem.) It was annoying, but I could work through the pain because it was not often and not too intense. But last week, I was running and somewhere around mile 2, it felt like something clamped down on my left calf and ankle. My KSO also felt too tight on the top of my left foot. I loosened the strap, adjusted my leggings, stretched out a bit and kept going. I finished my run (probably should not have), but my leg felt tight and uncomfortable the rest of the way, and after I finished I limped home and hobbled up to my 3rd floor walk-up. I felt better after some stretching, icing and a hot shower. So I gave myself an extra day of rest and went back out for a run in VFFs again. I set my Nike+ to 45 minutes and took off as usual, but again, about 20 minutes in my left calf tightened. I kept going (because I had already run a couple miles away from my house), but had to take it very easy to avoid that tightening feeling in my muscles. I was starting to realize at that point, that maybe the woes of transitioning to a minimalist shoe were not over and maybe were just begining for me. Many VFF experts suggest 4-6 months for your transition to VFFs from modern running shoes.

Shod (that's right, it means I wore shoes)
After admitting that I would still have to work on this transition, I went on my next run in my Nikes. No foot pain, no calf pain, but I actually had a little shin pain. I was relatively pain-free, but I felt a little clunky and weighted down. My feet also felt bound. My toes missed the freedom of individual sockets and felt a little smushed. It also didn't feel as good in my legs and feet, like my muscles weren't all working. But for that day, it was worth it to avoid the calf pain.

An article in Runner's World suggested that you use VFFs only as a training tool and not all the time. If the pain continues in VFFs over some time, I might have to use them in conjunction with modern running shoes. But, for the next few months I plan on doing everything I can to make VFFs work for me and become the best runner I can be.

Barefoot!!! 
So after a shod run, I went back to VFFs for a run. Inbetween, I did a little research on minimalist and barefoot running blogs and forums, and many people expressed similar pains. Beyond giving it time and transitioning more slowly, most people seemed to say working on your form would help get rid of the pain. And the best way to perfect your form in foot gloves? Run barefoot.

BAREFOOT!?!?! I live in a city. A dirty city. I thought the whole reason I bought these things was to avoid actually being barefoot. But, I understand it - the sensory feedback you get from running barefoot tells you quickly how you are landing, and this will lead to a good natural form. Seriously though, I scoff at drunk girls who walk on the sidewalks at night, heels in hand, so could I really put my bare, naked foot on the filth that is Center City Philadelphia? YES - because if there is one thing that competitive sports has taught me over the years, it is that you can't get better without leaving your comfort zone sometimes.

So I went out for a VFF run on the Schuykill River Trail, a paved path which is generally clean of debris, much less walked on than the sidewalks and clear of car sludge. I figured I would do a VFF run this time and maybe next time I would go barefoot. I felt okay, good even. And after 40 minutes with only about a half mile to get back to the starting point, I felt compelled to shed my ugly gorilla feet and  go bare. I took off with VFFs in hand and ended my Nike+ workout (obviously there is no place to put the sensor). I thought it would hurt, but it didn't. The smooth path felt cool on my feet, and I found it surprisingly easy to run light and easy. No pain. 5 minutes later I was at the beginning of the path and felt fine. This is something I could do again, and I honestly think it will help with my form. I don't know how to explain why I think that based on my few minutes of running barefoot, but it felt good and I'm willing to try it.

The Unforseen Problem
I got back to the starting point and ran up to Ryan, who was stretching and waiting for me, and proudly held out my VFFs to show that I ran barefoot. I was pretty happy with myself, but wanted to go home immediately to get in the shower and get the city off my feet. BUT, there was a problem. I didn't think of it. I start running a few blocks away from my apartment. I still had to walk home over gravel, a train track, on real city sidewalk and across a few streets. When I bravely decided to go barefoot, I thought I could just immediately wash my feet and it would be okay. But I had to get home, and I wasn't about to put my dirty feet back into my shoes to preserve the city grime forever. I had to walk home barefoot. I was that drunken girl walking home barefoot, only I was sober, which only makes it worse. I totally grossed myself out.

On top of it, I got even dirtier looks than I did when I first started wearing VFFs. I felt like every other person on the street and every person driving by in their cars were looking at my bare feet and being disgusted. As a matter of fact, I felt that way while I was running on the path too. In the future, I will run barefoot again, but I think I will bring an old pair of flip flops with me so I can walk home in them.

Since then, I think I've done one shod and one VFF run, both uneventful. For the future, a mix of bare, VFF and shod, but most importantly, a conscious effort to improve my form.

No comments:

Post a Comment