Thursday, April 15, 2010

You down with OPP... Other People's Playlists

What do these artists have in common?

They all have at least one song on my running playlist

My legs hurt. I run with no cushioning so sometimes my feet hurt too. I didn't run today, but thinking about tomorrow's Fartlek training makes my legs and feet hurt more. I know I will get through my runs though, and I couldn't do it without my running playlist.

It's amazing how your mental strength can push your body physically. I have always had a pretty good ability to focus and tell myself to push harder or stronger when I felt like I couldn't go anymore or do any better. I personally respond well to people yelling at me too. Give me a coach or trainer screaming at me one-on-one any day. Some people fall apart under that sort of pressure. Some respond well to positive encouragement or general instruction to a group. Different things work for different people - we're all wired differently. It makes sense then, that a person's running (or workout) playlist would be as different from another's playlist as one person is different from another. I know I could never just use someone else's playlist.

I know some people who just play music they like to listen to in general or just upbeat music in general. Not for me. I do look for something upbeat and of course I want music I actually like to listen to, but there has to be something special that makes it work for me. Some songs just make me feel like I could  run forever. Some help me push through the pain. And some songs just make me smile, which is just what I need now and then. Other times I just want my a song to take my mind off of running. Different songs do different things for me, and a good mix of all of those things gives me, well my perfect running mix.

I pretty much use the same running mix every run and tweak it now and then. When I find myself skipping songs more than once, I move that song down the list or off the list. When I hear a new song or forgotten song that strikes a chord with me, I add it and try it. But overall, I have had a similar playlist for running (and cardio) for a while now.

So here it is. It's embarrassing, cheesy at times and geeky and dorky overall, and I feel like by revealing this in this public setting I am somehow being exposed. To be honest, Ryan is the only one who has seen this playlist and even he hasn't seen it all. If you see my running playlist, you might get me too well, and then you might stop reading my blog! Okay enough stalling... here it goes, 29 songs roughly 2 hours:
  1. Get Low, Remix (Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz)
  2. The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson)
  3. OPP (Naughty By Nature)
  4. Fight to Survive - The Kumite Song (Bush Stan)
  5. Welcome to the Jungle (Guns N' Roses)
  6. Just Dance (Lady Gaga)
  7. Just Dance (Jamiroquai)
  8. Fighter (Christina Aguilera)
  9. Stronger (Britney Spears)
  10. Suddenly I See (KT Tunstall)
  11. Since You've Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson)
  12. Man in the Mirror (Michael Jackson)
  13. Where is the Love (Black Eyed Peas feat. Justin Timberlake)
  14. School of Rock (from School of Rock Soundtrack)
  15. Enter Sandman (Metallica)
  16. I Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas)
  17. I Want You Back (Jackson 5)
  18. Start Me Up (Rolling Stones)
  19. Keep on Running (The Spencer Davis Group)
  20. Supermodel (Jill Sobule)
  21. Come On Over (Christina Aguilera)
  22. Rock That Body (Black Eyed Peas)
  23. Whatcha Say (Jason Derulo)
  24. Run This Town (Jay-Z feat. Kanye & Rihanna)
  25. David Duchovny (Bree Sharp)
  26. Put Your Records On (Corinne Bailey Rae)
  27. Wind (Akeboshi, a theme from Naruto)
  28. You're Beautiful (James Blunt)
  29. Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole)
So there it is. Completely dorky right? It's wrong at times, I know: Britney Spears and Metallica? Lil' Jon and that Supermodel song from Clueless? The Rolling Stones and about half the Centerstage soundtrack? A song from an anime??? It's a strange combination of songs, but I love it. I don't know what I would do without it.












It's worth noting that I use Nike + Ipod, which allows you to choose a "powersong." You can hold down the center button at any time during your run, and your powersong will come on. Mine is Fight to Survive, the Kumite song. For those of you who don't know, it is from the movie Bloodsport, starring Jean-Claude Van Damm. It is a chant/song about the underground, freestyle fighting competition, the Kumite, featured in the movie. I love Jean-Claude. This song should be the most embarrassing song on my playlist, but I'm not even embarrassed that it is my powersong. It works so well for me that I can't be embarrassed by it. I used to play this song so many times during a run, I might as well have put it on repeat, but lately I haven't been playing it that much. To me, that means that my current playlist is working well for me, and I'm getting mentally stronger.

Don't judge me, but do share your favorite running or workout songs or even your whole playlist in the comments section. I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Don't be shy. I know around 25 people have read this so far and no one has posted a song. Come on, I revealed my whole playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, OK. Mine changes constantly but here are my top 10 for the moment.
    - Dragula (Rob Zombie)
    - Bodies (Drowning Pool)
    - Heads Will Roll (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
    - Forever (Chris Brown)
    - Major Tom (Shiny Toy Guns)
    - Time After Time (Quietdrive)
    - I'm Really Hot (Missy Elliott)
    - Violet (Hold)
    - Battleflag (Lo Fidelity Allstars)
    - Nookie (Limp Bizkit)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Boom Boom Pow by the BEPs, anything LL Cool J, and the weird techno music that Robert Ulrey chose for his couch potato to 5k podcasts. Also, it's weird but upbeat folksy music really inspires me to pick up the pace... I will try to think of an example.

    ReplyDelete